Psychoacoustics and Audiological Applications
|Assistant:||Dr. Marko Takanen, Dr. Sam Clapp|
|Turnus:||Winter semester only|
|Target group:||Wahlmodul zur fachlichen Vertiefung, Master EI|
|Schedule:||2/2/0 (Lecture/Excercise course/Practical course)|
|Exam:||Oral. Sign up for the individual oral exam is before or after the lecture.
Candidates for repeat exams in the summer semester are asked to contact us well in advance to arrange an individual exam time.
|Time & Place:||Lecture: Tuesday, 09.45 - 11.15 hours, N3815
Excercise course: Tuesday, 11.30 - 13.00 hours, N3815
|Dates:||Lecture starts on 17.10.2017; Excercise course from 24.10.2017,
No Lecture on 14.11.2017
- Binaural hearing: binaural cues, masking, directional hearing, movement perception, precedence effect, models;
- Hearing impairment: Kinds of hearing impairment, frequency selectivity and auditory filters, masking and across-frequency processes, loudness and recruitment, temporal and spectral processing, pitch perception, models of peripheral processing;
- Speech understanding: cues, models (Articulation Index, Speech Intelligibility Index), binaural speech understanding, effect of noise and reverberation on speech understanding;
- Auditory scene analysis;
- Music perception: Harmony, consonance, dissonance;
- Hearing aids: function and algorithms;
- Cochlear implants: function, algorithms, temporal and spectral resolution, speech understanding;
- Methods for listening tests and their evaluation;
- Ethical considerations in clinical research with human participants;
- Speech tests in audiometry; models of the auditory system (monaural, binaural, speech);
- Fitting of hearing aids and cochlear implants;
- Audio demonstrations.
Oral exams will take place. Examination dates will be announced. In addition, each student must register and sign up individually at the examination office (online portal).
|J. Blauert||Spatial Hearing. MIT Press, Cambridge MA, 1996.|
|H. Fastl , E. Zwicker||Psychoacoustics - Facts and Models. Springer-Verlag, 3rd Edition, 2007.|
|D.M. Green, J.A. Swets||Signal Detection Theory and Psychophysics. Peninsula Publishing, Los Altos Hills, Calif., USA, 1988.|
|N.A. Macmillan, C.D. Creelman||Detection Theory: A User's Guide. Psychology Press, 2nd Edition, New York, London, 2009.|
|B.C.J. Moore||An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing. Emerald Group Publishing, 6th Edition, London, 2012.|
|E. Terhardt||Akustische Kommunikation. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1998.|
|M. Zöllner, E. Zwicker||Elektroakustik. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, korr. Nachdruck, 2003.|